We have an exciting opportunity for an individual to join our Housing Allocations Service. Working as a Housing Allocations Officer you will have a busy and varied workload that will involve assessing applicants for the housing register, selecting applicants for the allocation of Council properties and nomination to Housing Associations properties in accordance with the Council’s policies and relevant agreements and legislation. You will also be involved in the implementation of the Council’s New Housing Allocations Scheme.
- Housing Allocation Officers provide a wide range of advice and guidance to enable access to the housing register and provide guidance on the Housing Allocation Scheme and other housing solutions such as downsizing, transferring and opportunities to mutual exchange.
- You will be responsible for assessing applications to determine eligibility for the housing register and managing rejections where applicants that do not qualify.
- You will be responsible for the allocation of council housing and nomination to housing associations. Ensuring the correct processes are followed and correspondence is accurate.
- Officers will effectively promote and maintain strong partnership working. This will include working with a wide range of internal services, stakeholders, registered providers, partner agencies and other external bodies.
The Ideal Candidate
- We are looking for committed and resilient individuals, with strong communication skills both verbally and written. You should have experience of managing a busy caseload and are able to plan and prioritise your work to meet targets and deadlines.
- You should have experience of working in a housing allocations service and be competent in the process of assessing applicants and allocating and nominating housing stock.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.