We’re recruiting for a dedicated, flexible person to join our Home Care service to work as a relief driver.
You’ll be driving a city council vehicle to take a small team of carers to and from the homes of the people they’re looking after, if they’re not in a position to drive themselves.
Our care service runs between 7am and 10pm, so you’ll need to be flexible and able to work a mixture of both early starts and late finishes.
Milton Keynes City Council is a modern and friendly place to work. We offer an excellent benefits package including an enhanced pension, generous holiday allowance starting at 28 days as well as a great range of training and development opportunities to help you in your career.
- Drive Home Care vehicles, transporting Home Carers to and from Service Users own homes, enabling them to provide care visits.
- Follow run list created by Home Care Scheduler or Co-ordinator and support when needed in planning of these runs, contributing to the efficient operation of the service.
- Prepare the vehicle for use, including undertaking vehicle safety checks, preparation of the interior, cleaning windows and re-fuelling where necessary.
- Maintain and keep appropriate records with regard to the vehicle.
- Drive Home Care vehicles, working to agreed health and safety policies at all times.
- To always drive vehicles in a safe and responsible manner, taking accountability for the vehicle and its contents, ensuring it is in a serviceable condition, is used properly and report any defects to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition whilst in use.
The Ideal Candidate
- Current clean driving licence held for more than three years.
- Ability to translate schedules into driving and passenger collection routes, operating within specific timescales.
- Follow risk management plans as documented and make Home Care Co-ordinator aware of any potential hazards.
- Adaptable to new working processes and procedures, building in continuous improvement and on own initiative.
- Flexible approach to working hours, to fit with the needs of the service.
- For this role you are required to have a Full UK Driving Licence. If you are successful, you will be required to supply evidence of your Licence prior to starting the role.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, excellent pension scheme widely regarded as one of the best available.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.