This is an interesting and rewarding HR role that makes a difference. As a HR Advisor, you’ll need experience in supporting varied casework, able to deliver training and can confidently coach and advice managers. With a busy workload you need to be well organised and timely with your advice.
We’re looking for applicants who have a CIPD level 5 qualification or working towards this. With a variety of casework, often complex, it’s important that your practice is underpinned by technical knowledge, and you will need to be solution focused. Working in a large organisation means that we can offer you exposure to a wide variety of projects and opportunities. You will be working in a supportive team that takes pride in delivering a quality service. The team and this role are predominantly office based but there is opportunity for home working.
- As the first point of contact you will provide accurate and business focused advice on all employee relations/human resources issues. This is primarily casework related to absence, disciplinaries, grievances, underperformance and terms and conditions queries.
- You will lead in the management of case work, making recommendations, coaching, giving support and advice to line managers to ensure that HR issues are dealt with quickly and effectively with risk assessed recommendations, taking into account policy, best practice and employment law.
- You will proactively develop and manage professional and collaborative relationships with managers, the HR Team and colleagues.
- With guidance, you will need to develop a broad understanding of targets and aspirations of the assigned areas and develop effective working relationships with managers, focused on achieving business improvement. Work with managers from the service areas, to ensure that their training and development needs in people management are identified and met. This includes coaching, developing/delivering workshops, mentoring etc.
- You will be able to identify, analyse and provide feedback to the relevant areas of the HR Team in order to develop the relevant changes to HR policy, practice and interventions that will benefit the service area and/or wider organisation.
- You will also play a role in supporting the implementation of organisation wide HR programmes, policies, processes and initiatives.
The Ideal Candidate
- Embraces our values, wants to work for an organisation that makes a positive difference for its community and relishes the challenge of working in a complex and ever-changing environment.
- Ideally, be qualified (or working towards) to Level 5 and have Associate Membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, or equivalent qualification.
- A proven track record as a HR generalist with a strong understanding of employee relations matters, including, legislation, guidance and best practice.
- Developed skills in communicating complex information to a wide audience who will comprise of non-specialists as well as a proven track record of coaching managers and the ability to influence at all levels.
- Proven ability to analyse complex problems and using specialist knowledge identify a range of options, giving consideration to risk and providing a reasoned recommendation for the solution.
- Ideally have experience of working in a unionised environment.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.