We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated individual who is looking for a new challenge, who enjoys working with people and wants to make a difference to people’s lives by supporting vulnerable adult social care service users. You will manage your own cases and provide advice and assistance to service users (or their representatives) to complete statement of financial circumstances forms in relation to their care needs.
You will complete financial assessments to calculate the amount of contribution chargeable. You will also provide advice to service users on general welfare benefit matters: helping to maximize service user’s income by identifying potential welfare benefit entitlement.
- Calculate accurate client contributions in a timely manner, liaising with clients and/or representatives on pertinent financial information. Ensuring financial processes are completed in accordance with legislation, government guidance, and in line with council policy and procedures.
- To maximise the service users and Council’s income through advice and assistance, identifying customer benefits and assisting the service user with these claims.
- Investigate, respond to and resolve service requests and queries ensuring operational service priorities are met through ownership, adhering to agreed service standards. Escalate any complaints and potential safeguarding issues in accordance with the relevant procedures.
- Take responsibility and ownership on areas of the service where improvements could be made. Recognising and adapting to the changing needs of the service by making recommendations and implementing agreed changes to improve efficiency and the service provided.
- Liaise with Adult Social Care colleagues and other relevant professionals regarding financial assessments, notify residential and nursing care providers of user’s contributions and liaise over collection methods.
- Work as part a team supporting your colleagues, mentoring Apprentices and Assistants. Provide training to new Financial Assessment Officers as and when required to ensure high levels of standards are met.
The Ideal Candidate
- Educated to GCSE level, NVQ Level 2 or experience gained in a similar or related working environment, Excellent IT skills with good knowledge of Microsoft Office application.
- High level of numeracy and literacy. Ability to process data and financial information related to the Financial Assessments Service.
- Experience of working in a fast paced environment, able to prioritise work to meet service requirements.
- Ability to understand and interpret national legislation, policies and guidance and to ensure processes remain compliant with national requirements.
- Full driving licence with the ability to travel to visit service users where appropriate.
- Ability to work with internal and external stakeholders, in particular vulnerable adults and their carers, to support the delivery of the Financial Assessments service.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally (face to face and by telephone) and in writing, in particular with vulnerable adults and their carers, in order to achieve desired outcomes. Be able to influence and negotiate when advising and supporting customers and service users.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.