This role provides finance support to four directorates: Finance & Resources; Law & Governance; Customer & Community Services and Planning & Placemaking. These areas provide for a wide range of variation in work and projects, meaning no two days are the same, and there are lots of opportunities to work to deliver value for money and improve services to the residents of MK. We also play a key role in developing future budgets based on demand analysis and presenting robust business cases for change.
This is a fast-paced area, so you will need to be committed, have an eye for detail and the ability to work on conflicting priorities. We are looking for enthusiastic, inquisitive, and passionate people who will challenge services and processes to ensure good governance and value for money. You will be part of a dynamic, energised Finance team who are integral to the wider council services.
In return we offer flexible working arrangements, training and development opportunities, including career progression and most importantly the chance to help shape the future of our growing city. The Council is based at the Civic Offices in Central Milton Keynes, but home-based working is supported, with a minimum of one day per week required to be worked in the office.
- To be the finance lead for allocated service area, developing processes and systems.
- Manage and develop staff within the team to ensure priorities are delivered.
- Responsibility for all aspects of the Medium-Term Financial Planning Process for allocated service areas.
- Responsibility for monthly monitoring for allocated service areas, including all aspects of forecasting, reporting and explanation.
- Ensure team and services adhere to Financial regulations and governance processes.
- Responsibility for year end closedown of allocated services and liaison with external audit.
- Provide advice and guidance within the council and participate in programme and project boards.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified accountant (CCAB).
- Experience of managing and developing staff.
- Experience of finance planning, control and reporting in a complex organisation
- Some Public Sector finance experience.
- Ability to explain complicated and technical information to both finance and non-finance personnel.
- Work well under pressure demonstrating innovative and creative thinking with high quality results.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About The Organisation
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.