This an excellent opportunity to start a career in Finance within a supportive environment. You will be involved in supporting the Council, whilst studying for a professional finance qualification and will experience working in a large organisation.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is an excellent communicator and keen to learn and develop in all aspects of Finance. You will be an active member of the Finance Team ensuring that accounting entries are recorded accurately.
After your Accounting apprenticeship you may be offered the opportunity to progress into a permanent role. Please note if there are a high number of applications then the closing date will be sooner. Training to be Provided at MK College. AAT qualification - Apprenticeship level may depend on prior qualifications
- To support the finance service in the posting of accounting entries and budget amendments.
To assist in the budget monitoring process through the preparation of salary projections, income tracking, bank reconciliations, and tracking of high volume data accounts
To support the Medium Term Financial Planning process through the preparation of working papers and budget information
To assist in the tracking and posting of grant income and reconciliation of control accounts
To update as requested the finance pages of the website and internal intranet
Within reason these key responsibilities may evolve to meet service need and it is expected that you will be flexible and adaptable in your delivery to meet both service and council wide needs.
The Ideal Candidate
- 5 GCSE’s including English Language and Mathematics (at least Grade C or Grade 5) or equivalent
- Be committed to provide excellent customer service
Possess good written and communication skills with attention to detail
Inquisitive and challenging with the ability to apply innovative and creative thinking to service challenges within a fast-paced environment
Competent computer skills with familiarity of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- A genuine interest to work in Finance
Be confident to build strong working relationships with a variety of colleagues within the whole council
- To work towards and successfully complete the appropriate level Accountancy Apprenticeship as determined on entry in 18 months
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.