We’re looking for friendly and enthusiastic people to help with the daily operations and maintenance at Milton Keynes Market on behalf of Milton Keynes Development Partnership
The popular outdoor Market is in Central Milton Keynes has more than 100 independent businesses across 400 stalls and is open five days a week (closed Monday and Wednesday – Wednesday is maintenance day).
You’ll be responsible for keeping the Market in good condition through planned and reactive work so shoppers and traders can enjoy a safe and clean environment.
You’ll have experience in a busy and lively environment and be familiar with general maintenance and health and safety inspections. A trade background such as plumbing or electricals would be ideal, but consideration will be given to applicants with transferable skills and a problem-solving ‘can do’ attitude.
You'll be the face of the Market, so an approachable and professional appearance is essential. A branded uniform will be provided along with a mobile telephone and iPad.
The role requires some weekend and bank holiday working as well as being in an outdoor environment during all weather. You’ll spend your time between our Civic Offices and the Market which is a short walk away.
- Operating days 6 days a week, 0700-1900 on a shift rota pattern (Tuesday to Sunday)
- Carry out duties to keep the external environment safe, clean and tidy, to include litter clearance, landscaping such as weed removal from walkways and pathways, and clearance of ice and snow from main exit and entry routes when necessary.
- Carry out weekly, monthly, and annual recurring checks and works on a range of statutory and non-statutory compliancy requirements, to include the undertaking of fire safety systems and testing and associated tasks to ensure regulations are adhered to (to include excellent record keeping and use of IT equipment and systems).
- To meet, greet and liaise with contractors in a professional manner, to ensure that all contractors and trades are appropriately recorded on site including registration of permit to works monitoring their program of works whilst on site. To act as fire marshal and first aider whilst on duty.
- To take responsibility for vehicles, access arrangements and movements whilst the market is operational, ensuring safety of the public.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for staff with drive, common sense, and dedication, the ability to build relationships and use initiative - spotting issues and rectifying and or reporting them to reduce risk.
- We are seeking someone who is adaptable, approachable and enjoys being part of a team.
- Someone who can communicate clearly and effectively with our clients and wider community.
- Ability to use IT systems and software with confidence.
- A trade background in plumbing, electrical or general maintenance.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations including risk assessment completion and COSHH (the law that requires the control of hazardous substances)
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.