The Rough Sleeping Team are looking for new members to join as Support Workers to assist our residents who have experience of rough sleeping, rough sleeping lifestyles and homelessness.
We are looking for Support Workers to provide evening cover at our male night provision. The evening shift will be from 5pm to 9pm, 7-days a week, via a rota system. All staff will work in teams of two.
An Alternative Work Pattern (AWP) may be assigned to basic pay for those posts which are deemed to have the most disruptive and non-standard working pattern. This can be up to 35% on top of total basic pay.
Please note this is not a carer role and therefore does not require assistance with personal care or daily living tasks.
- Being empathetic and flexible with those who have complex needs.
- Offer face to face support to encourage engagement.
- Managing challenging behaviours whist working in a potentially stressful environment.
- Maintaining thorough and accurate case records and work collaboratively with the day staff.
- Partnership working with agencies and departments across the council to provide an efficient out of hours service.
- To ensure that Health and Safety procedures are being followed, to minimise risks and to keep residents and staff safe.
The Ideal Candidate
- Someone with good communication skills.
- Someone who knows about, or can learn to manage challenging behaviours.
- Someone who enjoys listening to people and trying to put things right.
- Someone with computer skills, Microsoft, etc.
- Someone who is flexible – you might be asked to work an alternative shift.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.