This is an exciting opportunity to join our strong and resilient shared public health service, working to improve health and reduce inequalities across the three unitary authorities of Milton Keynes, Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire. The post holder will have strategic responsibility for the public health function based in Milton Keynes Council, reporting to and working closely with the Director of Public Health for Bedford Borough, Central Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes. They will also provide consultant leadership for specific work programmes across the public health shared service (public mental health, primary care and workplace health).
The appointment will be full time (37 hours). We are happy to consider applications for job share or reduced hours. Interviews will take place the week beginning 21 February 2022.
For an informal discussion about the role with the Director of Public Health, please contact the Business Management Support Officer for Public Health on 01234 276893.
As the place-based lead for MK, the post holder will be responsible for the effective delivery of specialist public health advice to stakeholders, commissioning high quality public health services, and working with council partners and others to positively influence the wider determinants of health.
They will provide leadership for the public health response to COVID-19 in MK, working closely with the consultant lead for health protection and supported by the shared health protection function. They will deputise for the Director of Public Health as required and will hold senior management responsibility within the shared public health team, alongside four other consultants and three heads of public health.
Important areas of focus within Milton Keynes include: smoking prevalence and smoking inequalities; children’s mental health; health inequalities and the delivery of appropriate accessible NHS and preventive services for people living in the most deprived parts of Milton Keynes; and supporting the Council’s aim to be a green and healthy city with the substantial growth planned.
The Ideal Candidate
This is a highly complex senior leadership role that requires a high level of intellectual rigour, negotiation skills, motivational ability and the flexibility to deal with complex public health issues. A high level of tact, diplomacy and political awareness is also required and an ability to understand other cultures, to enable effective working across organisational boundaries and influencing without direct authority. The post holder will be expected to cope with multiple and changing demands and to meet tight deadlines.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.