Following a restructure of business support across Children’s Services, we have an exciting opportunity to recruit a Deputy Business Manager to support the hub. Children and Families is a fast paced hub, working with professionals from partner agencies to resolve safeguarding concerns around the safety or wellbeing of a child.
As a result, the agencies are able to act quickly, ensuring that vulnerable children and families are kept safe. A major part of the role is to deliver effective and professional Business Support as well as to provide a proactive and “forward thinking” approach, to encourage and support with the use of technology and support development of the Business Support hub.
Ideally, you will have experience of working in a health or social care environment with management qualifications and/or extensive experience of managing a large team. The candidate will also provide The post holder PA support to the Head of Family Support Services, as well as manage business support colleagues across the service
- To provide comprehensive administrative support to Head(s) of Service to ensure they are able to work as efficiently as possible.
- Prioritise the demand on the Business Support service, ensuring critical areas of work are managed effectively e.g. minute taker provided for statutory meetings, databases updated in accordance with agreed standards, statutory regulations, policies and procedures.
- Proactively develop professional knowledge, skills and behaviours by developing staff through training, coaching and mentoring.
- Tackling any under-performance or unacceptable behaviours to ensure a consistent and professional level of service is delivered in line with Milton Keynes Council’s policies and procedures.
- Act as the principal point of contact for the assigned Head(s) of Service and business support hubs working across a range of complex areas.
- Support the management team in the inspection framework including any other scrutiny and review initiatives as agreed with the Business Manager. Ensure effective working arrangements and relationships in respect of Health and Safety, Business Continuity Planning, ICT functions and other corporate initiatives.
The Ideal Candidate
- NVQ Management level 4 or equivalent or able to demonstrate extensive management experience and significant administrative experience.
- Experience of managing large teams working to tight deadlines in a results-focused environment.
- Excellent IT skills, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and ability to quickly and confidently learn and utilise a variety of different IT systems.
- Experience of taking minutes in complex meetings.
- Strong interpersonal skills that will promote high staff morale, motivation and engagement through effective people management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication with experience in report writing, data analysis and presentation design.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.