Simpson and Kitchener Day Centres offer a service to older people and people living with a diagnosis of Dementia. The service operates within a person-centred approach aimed at enhancing a person’s quality of life. The service works closely with each person in accordance with their needs and preferences, providing opportunities and support with activities in the service and community which promote wellbeing and independence.
Here at Kitchener day service, we are looking for a reliable and enthusiastic Community Transport Driver to join our established team. This is a part-time position; you will work 22.5hours per week Monday to Friday on a split shift. You will require a D1 privilege on your driving licence, experience driving passenger vehicles and a willingness to complete extra training once in post.
- To drive day vehicles in a safe and courteous manner. This will include driving a vehicle that can take up to 16 passengers.
- To transport service users to and from the centre, safely, respectfully and providing care and assistance to those with mobility needs.
- Supporting team leaders with information to write transport risk assessments.
- To carry out planned routes and to be able to help with recommendations to improve efficiency of the service.
- To prepare the vehicle for use, including undertaking daily vehicle safety checks, preparation of the interior, cleaning windows and re-fuelling where necessary
- To complete all appropriate paperwork accurately, legibly, and timely.
- Perform all duties in line with Health and Safety requirements and to act where hazards are identified and/or report serious hazards to line managers immediately.
The Ideal Candidate
- D1 privilege on driving licence and experience driving passenger vehicles.
- Be approachable, responsive, caring, flexible and patient.
- Be organised and self-motivated.
- Good communication and time management skills.
- Willing to undertake training.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.