We are looking for someone who has site experience and ideally with some design background. You will be undertaking preliminary site visits and surveys to undertake feasibility investigations into schemes. You will be also inspecting schemes on site and will be helping in delivering a number of high-profile traffic management/traffic engineering schemes, from inception through to completion.
To understand and apply Corporate and Service requirements related to the highway network and in relation to construction works and to lead in the control of site safety and quality control on construction sites.
To assist in the implementation of multiple projects and programmes of highway construction work within timescale, budgetary constraints and any contract conditions and corporate governance.
To ensure that a consistently high standard of quality control and supervision is maintained for each contract, by site reviews with due regard to construction, health and safety legislation.
To ensure that effective client contractor relationships are maintained in order to meet the requirements in the contract for partnership working and continuous improvement in service delivery.
To assist the Senior Engineers with specification and material checks as specified and in accordance with the contract.
To monitor and record contractor’s work/performance and to ensure that work elements are constructed in accordance with the contract drawings and specification.
To identify site technical problems and prepare, evaluate, and recommend options and costs together with relevant drawings and/or documentation to the Senior Engineer.
To prepare and present project information, briefs and reports both technical and non technical to a range of audiences.
To ensure compliance with Standing Orders, Financial Regulations, governance and legislative requirements.
To assist in the implementation of good health and safety practices in line with legislation, with an in depth practical knowledge of Construction, Design and Management regulations.
To provide ‘value engineering’ solutions to highway infrastructure projects during implementation stages.
To assist in developing, assessing and achieving performance measures at project/service specific level.
To liaise with customers and stakeholders in a professional, responsive and focussed manner.
The Ideal Candidate
A full UK Driving Licence is essential, as well as experience in a relevant field with the use of plant and equipment associated with the role. This is a customer focused service, so personal conduct is key, as is good levels of communication.
It is essential that you hold an HNC or Eng Tech and/or IEng in an appropriate discipline OR have a demonstrable level of knowledge and skill suitable for the role. are also looking for someone who can adapt well to the demands of the service, who can travel throughout Milton Keynes and surrounding areas, and who are willing to develop their engineering skills further.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.