The Children’s and Families Practice Team play a pivotal role in the delivery of Early Help to Children and Young People, living in Milton Keynes. The team is now looking for an experienced Practitioner to join them and help families who have been identified as requiring targeted Early Help support.
The successful candidate will work with families where needs are at level 3 on the Milton Keynes Levels of Need (Effective Support Windscreen); undertake Early Help Assessments, and work with colleagues and external organisations to develop a Team Around the Family delivering a plan of support to empower the family in making positive changes. This is in accordance with the statutory guidance: Working Together to Safeguard Children, 2018.
In return, we offer a smartphone, laptop, flexible working opportunities, and training and development. Please note DBS checks will be required for the successful candidate.
- Work with an allocated number of families, where needs are at level 3 on the Milton Keynes Levels of Need (Effective Support Windscreen)
- Carry out in-depth Early Help Assessments with children, young people, and their families, capturing their wishes and feelings.
- Work with other agencies to assist families in developing detailed support plans to effect change, whilst ensuring their safety, wellbeing and development.
- Deliver programmes to parents, individually and in groups, to improve their confidence and skills in managing their children’s behaviour
- Ensure case notes are up to date and are written in accordance to approved standards
- Engage in regular case discussions, including safeguarding reviews with management, group reflective practice and monthly case supervision
- Engage in mandatory and induction training as well as regular training and development opportunities which will be available to enable you to fulfil your role.
The Ideal Candidate
- Relevant National Qualifications to L3 or equivalent experience of working with children and their families
- Awareness of the legislative/regulatory framework within which the role operates.
- Ability to analyse, summarise and write/record relevant information to a good level with an ability to use IT effectively.
- Good verbal and communication skills
- Good skills and knowledge in listening to children and adults, in observation and in carrying out assessments of strengths and weaknesses within families, including the assessment and management of risk.
- Ability to work within a multi-agency context by working co-operatively with other professionals and agencies to meet the needs of children and families.
- Full UK driving licence – You must be able to travel to meet service delivery requirements including access to your own vehicle
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.