This is an exciting opportunity to join a great team supporting residents in Milton Keynes .
The Care and Response Community Alarm service provides alarm units and ‘red button’ pendants to over 5000 residents within Milton Keynes, enabling vulnerable people to call for assistance at any time of the day or night. Our dedicated call centre in Stantonbury receives around 15000 calls a month and we respond with care, compassion, we listen, we assess and ultimately, if needed, we dispatch a responder.
The core purpose of the Care and Response Community Alarm service is to help people feel safe and secure at home so they can live full and independent lives. We listen and provide support when it is needed most and provide a mobile response to all areas of Milton Keynes.
As a Care and Response Officer you will be working across all aspects of the service as a call handler, mobile responder and installer of equipment in people homes. Full training is provided for all aspects of the role .
The Care and Response Community Alarm Service operates 24hrs a day , 365 days a year , working a 12 hour shift pattern of 2 days (07.30-19.30) followed by 2 nights (19.30 – 07.30) . An alternative working pattern payment of 35% is payable on top of basic salary for this shift pattern.
- To work as a call handler, answering alarm calls from service users and telephone calls from members of the public.
- To learn about equipment, installing and fault finding.
- To work as a responder, assisting service users who have fallen or who are in crisis.
The Ideal Candidate
- We are looking for someone who cares about people and providing a professional high quality service.
- A good listener and communicator.
- Willing to learn - you do not need experience in this field, but you do need to be patient, calm and caring .
- You need to hold a full driving licence (manual)and be able to use a computer and tablet .
- Ability to stay calm under pressure or in crisis.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.