Are you looking for a rewarding career where no two days are the same, and you make a real difference to people’s lives?
Whether you’re an experienced carer or just beginning a career in care, we’re offering two roles in our community care team: Reablement Support Worker, and Carer.
No other job compares to the reward you get when you’re changing someone’s life for the better, building trust, creating opportunities and encouraging what’s possible.
Knowing that you’re making a positive and lasting difference to people’s lives is a great feeling and it’s far from the only benefit you’ll get when you join us. Working with us isn’t only about creating opportunities for others, it’s also about having plenty of opportunities to learn and grow for yourself.
Milton Keynes City Council is a modern and friendly place to work. We offer an excellent benefits package including a £2000 ‘Golden Hello’ to reward people new or returning to care, and we pride ourselves on the development of our colleagues.
We are committed to offering personalised care that’s safe, effective, caring and responsive to our service users’ needs. We take an approach that promotes dignity, respect and independence, ensuring people receive the right support to improve their quality of life and wellbeing.
We have both full time and part time opportunities available and depending on your set hours, shifts can include 7am-1:30pm, 4pm-10:30pm and 7am-11am. Split shifts are required for full time hours. You’ll work flexibly over a seven-day period.
We welcome and encourage informal visits and conversations from potential applicants so please contact our Business Support Team on 01908 254330.
If you’re new to care this interactive quiz is based on real life scenarios from the social care sector and will help you to understand if a career in care is for you: A Question of Care has been updated... (skillsforcare.org.uk).
- Care and Response - The service takes clients from the age of 18+ who have complex care needs and / or dementia. The service supports people on a long-term basis to remain living independently in the local community. The post holder will be required to visit clients in their homes within the Milton Keynes location and therefore your own transport is essential.
- Reablement - The service takes clients from the age of 18+ who are needing support to return home following a hospital discharge or following an episode of illness or injury at home. The service supports people on a short-term basis of up to 6 weeks to help them to regain confidence and physical ability, supporting them to live as independently as possible in their own homes. The post holder will be required to visit clients in their homes within the Milton Keynes location and therefore your own transport is essential.
The Ideal Candidate
- We offer a £2,000 ‘Golden Hello’ to reward applicants who are either new or returning to care after 12 months. Experience isn’t essential as we are looking for individuals that share our values (Dedicated, Respectful, Collaborative), can demonstrate kindness, patience and compassion as well as have a desire to support local people with their day-day life in their own homes enabling people to stay at home within their communities. We will offer you all the support and training that you will need to succeed.
- Come and join one of our teams who are striving every day to make a real positive difference to local people.
- It is a requirement that you complete the supporting statement as part of the recruitment process. By completing the supporting statement, you will have the opportunity to write about your values, skills and experience and how you would be suited to the role and how you can make a difference to the communities that we serve. Please also specify which role/s you are interested in and what hours/days you can work.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.