A new opportunity for two Care and Response Officers to join our brilliant team supporting local residents.
The Care and Response Community Alarm service helps people feel safe and secure at home so they can live full independent lives. We listen and provide support when it’s most needed and provide a mobile response to all areas of Milton Keynes. We’ve provided more than 5,000 alarm units to local residents so vulnerable people can call for assistance at any time of the day or night.
As a Care and Response Officer you’ll join the team on site at our dedicated call centre in Stantonbury which receives around 15,000 calls a month. You’ll work across all aspects of the service as a call handler, mobile responder and installer of equipment in people’s homes. Full training is provided.
The Care and Response Community Alarm Service operates 24hrs a day, 365 days a year, working a 12-hour shift pattern of 2 days (07.30-19.30) followed by 2 nights (19.30 – 07.30). An alternative working pattern payment of 35% is payable on top of basic salary for this shift pattern.
We have some shift patterns that operate on weekdays only. These do not attract any additional enhanced payments above the basic salary. We would be pleased to hear from anyone interested in this working pattern.
- Work as a call handler, answering alarm calls from service users and telephone calls from members of the public.
- Work as a responder, assisting service users who have fallen or who are in crisis.
- Learn about equipment, installing and fault finding.
The Ideal Candidate
- We’re looking for someone who cares about people and about providing a professional high-quality service.
- You’ll be a good listener, calm in a crisis and can think on your feet.
- You do not need experience in this field, but you do need to be patient, calm and caring and be able to respond to alarm calls and in face-to-face visits in a kind, caring and compassionate way.
- You need to hold a full driving licence (manual)and be able to use a computer and tablet.
- If you like variety, (no 2 days are the same) and are flexible in your work approach then please get in touch.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.