Milton Keynes Council looks after over 11,000 homes which includes over 800 blocks of flats, 28 sheltered housing schemes and 2000+ garages.
As our Building Safety Surveyor, this role is all about knowing where we are with compliance across the homes and delivering programmes of work which keep MKC homes up to current standards. You will set and deliver the compliance routine, working with a small team you will have a risk based approach in how we prioritise and deliver our work.
We have several exciting projects around energy saving and improvements coming up, along with the chance to influence how we manage our compliance information and use it to drive asset based decisions that improve homes for our residents. Building strong links with other MKC teams, including neighbourhoods, housing delivery and asset management, you will also work closely with our repairs and maintenance contractor, so a positive, proactive and detailed approach is a must.
- Setting and ensuring the compliance routine for our housing stock is delivered across the areas of fire, legionella, asbestos, structural, gas, electrical and the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- Working to improve standards of compliance across the stock – including working with other teams and regulators who influence the safety of our stock and residents
- Part of a small team who will provide expert advice and guidance on health and safety on building safety and ensure we keep our housing stock up to standard
The Ideal Candidate
- Positive, proactive and detailed in your application of your health and safety knowledge for residential properties
- Strong knowledge and varied health and safety qualifications demonstrating development of professional health and safety competence over time
- Significant project management experience with the ability to be in the detail as well as setting strategic direction
- Well able to use compliance data to drive priorities, accurately track and report on the compliance position for housing assets.
- Skilled in the use of Excel and other Microsoft Office programs.
- Clear communicator who is organised and takes a risk based approach in all things
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.