Milton Keynes City Council is looking for a driven and enthusiastic individual to assist the Market Manager on behalf of Milton Keynes Development Partnership (MKDP). In this new post, you will be responsible for assisting the Market Manager, and working in a small but focussed team, in an efficient, safe, and effective manner.
Situated in the heart of Central Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes Market is currently open 5 days a week (closed Monday and Wednesday) and contains over 100 independent businesses across around 400 stalls.
The ideal individual will have a background in market management, but consideration will be given to applicants with a recognised property/FM qualification with transferable skills and a problem-solving attitude. You'll be the face of CMK Market, so a friendly, professional and smart appearance is essential.
The ideal candidate will have experience in market management or managing a large venue..
The role of the Assistant Market Manager will require some weekend and bank holiday working as well as working in an outdoor environment during all weather. You will spend your time working between our Civic Offices at CMK and and at the Market, which is a short walk away.
A branded uniform will be provided along with a mobile telephone and iPad.
Please note this role is for a fixed term period of 12 months.
Deputise for the Market Manager during periods of annual leave/sickness
Assist the Market Manager to ensure the efficient, safe and effective operation of the Market including premises management and statutory compliance.
Monitor the traders contractual agreements and ensure prompt rent payment and recovery of arrears
Maintain a high level of customer service and be the main point of contact for the general public, dealing with enquiries and new lettings as appropriate.
Assist with promoting the market and attracting new traders, fostering good relationships with traders and key stakeholders
The Ideal Candidate
Experience in market management or managing a large venue with a minimum 5 GCSE’s Grade A* - C
Excellent customer service skills and a proven track record in dealing effectively with the general public
Be able to communicate clearly, confidently and appropriately
The ability to interpret accounting information, in terms of financial spreadsheets, invoices and debt collection. Knowledge of finance or property management systems would be a bonus
A reasonable technical background in order to identify required repairs and maintenance and experience and knowledge of premises management
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.