Milton Keynes Council is recruiting a full time Assistant Coroners Officer to provide investigative support to the Coroners and Coroner’s Officers in Milton Keynes to deliver their statutory obligations with regard to reported deaths according to the requirements of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009
The post holder will be required to perform a wide range of duties related to the Coroners function.
This exciting opportunity for an individual with relevant knowledge and previous experience will include the following duties:
- Assimilate information and reports of death
- Liaise with bereaved families ensuring they are fully informed at all stages of the coroners process
- Collate evidence and make relevant arrangements to ascertain identification and causes of death
- Assist with preparing investigation files for the Coroner for inquests
- Act as usher on behalf of the Coroner in inquest court
Post holders will be required to work without supervision and use a high level of initiative in decision making.
Key working relationships
- Coroners Service Manager
- Coroner’s Officers
- Senior Management
- Council Members
- Other Council department colleagues e.g. Registrars
Externally to include:
- Hospital staff and managers
- H&S Executive
- Prison staff and managers
- Relatives and NoK of deceased
Successful candidates should have previous experience in the relevant field of work, e.g. nursing, para medicine, bereavement support or policing.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.