We’re looking for a well organised and articulate person to join our Revenues and Benefits team to help us support some of the most vulnerable people in our community.
Ideally, you’ll have at least 18 months of experience in Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction assessments. You’ll set yourself high standards for quality and performance, as well as being excellent at customer service, communicating clearly in writing and over the telephone.
As our service continues to adapt, we’re looking for colleagues willing to be flexible and adaptable, for instance ready to consider cross-site working with our partner Horsham District Council.
We’re able to offer flexible working arrangements, including homeworking, which may be considered after demonstrating and maintaining consistently high standards and in consideration of the service needs.
For further enquiries or an informal chat about the role please contact either Fraser Haines, Revenues & Benefits Team Leader, on 07825357777 / firstname.lastname@example.org or Laura Murphy, Revenues & Benefits Team Leader, on 07385469713 / email@example.com.
- Process applications for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Reduction ensuring they are paid promptly and correctly in accordance with legislation and procedures.
- Ensure that the Council Tax account information relating to the customer has the correct liability and if not, resolve any discrepancies that would affect the financial award.
- Ensure that overpayments of Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Reduction have effective recovery set or are identified as not being recoverable in line with policies and procedures and are recommended for write off.
- Administer Local Welfare Provision and any Local Authority administered government schemes that come into force.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction processing activities (minimum of 18 months experience).
- GCSE English & Maths grade A – C or equivalent.
- Experience of working with and understanding the needs of customers.
- IT literate in Microsoft applications.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.