The Milton Keynes Council Revenues & Benefits Service is in partnership with Horsham District Council. This position will be based in the team at Horsham.
This role will give experienced candidates currently working within Revenues and Benefits the opportunity to diversify their current knowledge and experience across the wider service.
We are looking for candidates who have a minimum of 18 months Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction assessment experience and who can demonstrate high standards of quality and output in their work. Our Service supports some of the most vulnerable people in our community and we would expect all candidates to be able to demonstrate an outstanding commitment to customer service, including through written correspondence and over the telephone.
The Service is due to see a considerable amount of change and we are looking for staff that will be both flexible and adaptable to the needs of the Service and our customers. This may also include cross site working with our partner Milton-Keynes Council.
We can offer flexible working arrangements, including homeworking, which may be considered after demonstrating and maintaining consistently high standards and in consideration of the service needs.
For further enquiries or an informal chat about the role please contact either Laura Foote, Revenues & Benefits Team Leader, at email@example.com or Natalie Buckman, Development Officer/Team Leader, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Process applications for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and Discretionary Housing Payments ensuring they are paid promptly and correctly in accordance with legislation and procedures
- Ensure that the Council Tax account information relating to the customer has the correct liability and if not, resolve any discrepancies that would affect the financial award
- Ensure that overpayments of Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and Discretionary Housing Payments have effective recovery set or are identified as not being recoverable in line with policies & procedures and are recommended for write off.
- Administer Local Welfare Provision and any Local Authority administered government schemes that come into force.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction processing activities (minimum of 18 months experience)
- GCSE English & Maths grade A – C, or equivalent
- Experience of working with and understanding the needs of customers
- IT literate in Microsoft applications
- Experience of using Capita Academy and/or the NEC Northgate Revenues & Benefits System.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.