The Environment and Waste Team is excited to be developing its Environmental Operations team as it prepares for a new Environmental Services contract and delivery of its ongoing ambitions of becoming one of the Greenest Cities.
As an Arboriculture Officer, you will be responsible for being part of a team that will be leading our biggest transformation project in 20 years; and creating a more resilient environment to future climate change. Working with our contractors, Councillors and residents you will be part of an exciting, multidiscipline team has a blended delivery of surveying, problem solving and project delivery.
So, if you want to help us make Milton Keynes a greener city, we want to hear from you.
- Respond to Tree enquiries
- Analysing the tree condition assessment results, carrying out of risk assessments where necessary and implementing the derived programme of works, monitoring, reviewing and updating of management plans
- Managing and delivering an extensive caseload comprising conservation area notifications, Tree Preservation Orders applications and reviews, High Hedge legislation
- Complete technical reports for council departments on insurance, subsidence and other structural damage caused by specific trees and advise on remedial work.
- Manage and monitor arboriculture contracts
- To undertake landscape design, construction, drainage and Arboricultural projects for capital and revenue schemes
The Ideal Candidate
- Level 4 Qualification in Arboriculture or equivalent experience
- Demonstrates experience and/or considerable knowledge of legislation, planning policy and good practice relating to arboriculture and contractual management
- Proven ability to build effective relationships and achieve co-operation from others
- Good written and verbal communication skills, with appropriate IT competency
- Proven ability to calculate resource allocation and timings
- Able to prioritise work whilst maintaining focus on key projects or activities within defined timescales.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.